Monday, June 27, 2011

Grocery Challenge Week 2

I know you are all dying to know how I did last week & what the plans are this week :)

Four of the recipes I did last week were new....that was a mistake on my part! The beef stir fry was good & very filling. The Italian Pasta Bake was great & I made two so there is one in the freezer. John was not a fan of the Spring & Summer soup....it wasn't bad. I had it for lunch the next day & I think it was better the second day. I think it would have been great in a bread bowl. I have some in the freezer so maybe I will make a bread bowl & try it again! Neither of us liked the pot pie. It just didn't seem to have much flavor. Maybe it is because I have a great chicken pot pie recipe that I got from a friend that we both love. We did do Milo's on Saturday for lunch but used a coupon so only paid for one meal. That didn't fit in the "healthy" category, but John needed a burger after all the other meals that week :) I also did a small trip to Whole Foods to get Joshua some Back to Nature crackers. I had read on a blog that they were on sale for $1.33 per box & had a store coupon for $1 off. Since Joshua goes through 2 boxes a week usually & I pay $2.99 at Publix, you know I ran out to get them. Of course, they weren't on sale at our Whole Foods. I did have the store coupon & manufacturer's coupon for $1 off, so I did get 2 boxes. I think my total for the week was around $66...don't have my receipts in front of me. Oh, I made 2 loaves of chocolate chip banana bread (1 already eaten & 1 frozen) & a loaf of zucchini bread (which Joshua ate!). I made homemade chicken stock....14 cups! I was in the kitchen a lot!

I will say that while trying to plan for this week I thought I would have to give up because it seemed hard to plan for the $75 budget! Anyway, here is the plan for this week for dinners. Breakfasts & lunches will be the same as last week.

Sunday - salmon patties, mac & cheese, green beans
Monday - chicken fried steak strips, mashed potatoes & gravy, corn, fruit
Tuesday - sweet shredded pork tacos
Wednesday - leftover pork tacos
Thursday - taco salad with the remaining pork
Friday - chicken fried rice
Saturday - possibly be with family for dinner so not sure yet

I bought almost everything we need for just under $60 I think....that also includes 12 containers of baby food for Timothy since he still gags on real food! The remaining items should cost less than $10 I think.

No comments: