Friday, December 26, 2008

O My Broken Toe!




Somewhere north of the probability of winning the Publishers Clearing House grand prize is the likelihood of breaking your toe when falling down some steps. Correction... one step. Joshua's bedroom is two steps up from the landing of the first-to-second floor staircase. As I was coming down those steps this morning, my right ankle rolled out from under me. Reflexively, my left leg tried to correct. Unfortunately the landing bent my toes up and over. I sat a the top of the stairs for a few minutes to let the adrenaline induce nausea subside while my wife laughed at me and made comments about needing a life-alert system ("I've fallen and I can't get up"). After an hour of increasing pain and swelling in my left foot, I determined that things were not looking good for an ice-and-elevate recovery. Chris dropped me off at a local doc-in-a-box. After a brief 3 hour wait, X-rays confirmed that the middle bone in my big toe was snapped like a twig. The doctor told me to follow up with an orthopedist on Monday. Chris took this lovely picture after the first Lortab kicked in.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: