Wednesday, October 15, 2008

No Veggies!!

So, we have been dealing with Joshua not wanting to eat vegetables for a while now. I know its pretty typical for toddlers, but really...he needs some vegetables every now and then. He thinks he can live off of mac & cheese and teddy grahams, but I'm not so sure. I have found a few tricks that work with him, so I thought I would share.

1. Take frozen vegetables & put them in your blender until they become a powder. Put the powder back in the freezer, and you can use it to add to mac & cheese or other sauces. Joshua didn't even seem to notice when I put it in his mac & cheese!

2. This sounds crazy, but his pediatrician recommended it when Joshua was around 10 months old & refused to let me spoon feed him anymore. Give him frozen peas. Don't cook them....just give him the frozen peas. I had not done this in a while, so had really forgotten about it. I tried it the other night and he loved it. It doesn't work all of the time, but he will usually eat at least a few. Maybe he likes them now because he is cutting his molars (still) and the cold peas feel good??

3. The cookbook, First Meals by Annabelle Karmel, has great suggestions on some pasta sauces. One uses butternut squash, which Joshua loved. Now, a lot of these recipes take some time & effort, so I often don't use them until I am desperate, but the butternut squash pasta sauce was pretty easy.

Maybe he will get back to eating vegetables other than sweet potatoes one day...though I don't expect that day to come any time soon!

2 comments:

jessica said...

great ideas! Thanks for sharing!
by the way do you thaw the vegetables before you put them in the blender or put them in there frozen?

Chris said...

You put the veggies in frozen...I wasn't so sure it was going to work at first, but then it started chopping it down to a powder. I put all of the powder in a freezer bag & then just broke off a chunk to put in the mac & cheese.